What is Whey Protein?
Before dwelling into what it means to intake Whey Protein; it must be clarified that it is misleading to call whey protein a protein. What is actually being consumed is numerous amino acids, and some ‘proteins’ have more amino acids than others. Luckily, whey protein has more. In fact, whey protein has all the amino acids necessary for muscle protein synthesis.
Muscle protein synthesis is the process by which the body takes these amino acids, and arranges them into proteins using ribosomal RNA and various enzymes. It is a very technical process but trust your body, it takes care of it just fine. The whey protein is a high quality protein found naturally in milk, and with a resistance workout one can achieve an improved body composition.
Whey protein is much more than just a mere amino acid, it is one of the best branched-chain amino acids available in our planet! It contains a lot of good; including leucine, which has been proven to stimulate muscle protein synthesis independently.
So it is evident that studies have answered the question, “Does whey protein assist in body building?” Whey protein is not alone; there is another by-product which is called “whey protein isolate” which increases muscle mass and increases strength.
What is the point of the show if there is no power behind it, right? These findings can be found here at this research update.
So What Are The Health Benefits Of Whey Protein?
There are quite a few health benefits of whey protein which are very well known, such as muscle increase and an improved physical performance, but there are others that are not often known. Whey protein has been shown to improve mental sharpness, enhance blood circulation and it is even known to retard the aging process…just a high note for anyone who thirsts for life.
The following is a list of other important and positive effects that will be enjoyed during the consumption of the whey protein…
- Maintains and improves the nervous system
- Prevents fatigue and increases stamina
- Relieves depression and improves overall mood
- Decreases pains
- Boosts memory and mental focus
- Suppresses appetite
- Relieves Insomnia
- Protects against heart disease
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves on poor circulation
- Increases the production of creatine an important component for energy
- Not only builds muscle but maintains it
- Prevents muscle breakdown
- Promotes healing
- Rebuilds cartilage in bones
- Helps in the recovery from exercise
There is something that was omitted but must be mentioned for those who are beginning their exercise regime; which is, one of the important health benefits of whey protein is that it has properties which assist in weight loss.
This property serves only as an addition to your workout activity, which is already working on your weight. 20 to 30 grams of whey protein should be consumed with every meal. This is something that could benefit even those who are not over stressing their workout, but just want to be healthy and fit. If you are looking to lose weight you must also exercise daily.
Whey protein is not only for men, which is a common misconception. Women can take this protein for its natural benefits as mentioned. This protein, along with a healthy diet and proper exercise will generate a beautiful, fit and curvaceous female body.
Side Effects Of Consuming Whey Protein:
There are only a few minor side effects that must also be mentioned, that seem to be glossed over by certain sites that discuss the best whey protein supplements and sources.
- Whey protein products do stem from milk. Those who are allergic to milk or dairy products or those who are lactose intolerant should consult their doctor before beginning the intake of this product because an allergic reaction can stem from it.
- Health experts (even though they have not done research on this) suspect that excessive amounts of whey protein can damage the kidneys or the liver. High consumption of the whey protein alone can lead to an unbalanced PH level in the blood making it too acidic which can cause fatigue and other minor problems, but could also possibly lead to cancer.
So in conclusion, how can these effects be avoided? By doing what is recommended whenever whey protein is consumed: maintain a healthy diet, eat various fruits, dark green vegetables and exercise. If you do those things you will achieve the best state your body can be in.
Let us know below if we missed any good benefits of whey protein that you may have personally found useful.
If you like this post and want to have trusted and reliable information on healthcare, top health tips and fitness tips, you can subscribe to FREE Health n Fitness Care feed via EMAIL to get instant updates on healthcare and fitness information.