Breast cancer treatment involves different methods to treat breast cancer depending upon number of factors. In breast cancer, cancer cells or malignant cells form in the tissue of the breast. As the breast is made up of ducts and lobes, the common type of breast cancer which begins in the cells of the ducts, is ductal carcinoma. Breast cancer that begins in the lobules or lobes is called lobular carcinoma. In an uncommon type of breast cancer like inflammatory breast cancer, the breast is swollen, warm and red. The breast cancer treatment is generally done by surgery when the tumor is localized. Then it is followed by radiotherapy, chemotherapy. Breast cancer treatment is also done by immune therapy.
This article will help you to know the symptoms and understand well how breast cancer treatment is done.
Risk Of Breast Cancer:
Risk factor increases your chance of getting a disease. Risk factors of breast cancer are as follows:
- Never having given birth at all or given birth to first child at older age
- Not getting enough exercise
- Breast tissue is dense on a mammogram
- Drinking alcohol
- Genetic history of breast cancer
- Early age menstruation
Causes Of Breast Cancer:
Women of BRCA3 or BRCA2 gene mutations are at higher risk of breast cancer. If a woman already has cancer in one of her breasts, then she is at high risk of developing cancer in the other. Hereditary breast cancer is around 5% to 10% of all breast cancers.
Symptoms Of Breast Cancer:
Breast cancer causes the following symptoms. Immediately go to the doctor if you have the following symptoms.
- A change in the structure and build of the breast
- Scaly, swollen, or red skin on the areola, breast, or nipple
- Inward turned of nipple into the breast
- A thickening or lump near or in the breast
- A puckering or dimple in the skin of the breast
Diagnosis Of Breast Cancer:
Follow these procedures and tests to diagnose breast cancer.
- Clinical Breast Exam (CBE)
- Ultrasound exam
- History and Physical exam
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Prognosis And Breast Cancer Treatment:
The prognosis and treatment completely depend on the following:
- A woman’s general health, menopausal status and age
- How fast the tumor is growing
- The stage of the cancer
- Receptor levels of Estrogens and progesterone in the tumor tissue
- The type of breast cancer
- The tumor tissue is triple negative or not
- The cancer has recurred or has just been diagnosed
Must Read – Treatment For Breast Cancer By Watercress
Different types of breast cancer treatments are available. Some treatments are currently used treatment, and other are being tested in clinical trials.
The types of breast cancer treatments are as follows:
Breast cancer treatment can be done by surgery which removes the cancer from the breast but not the breast itself. Following are 2 different types of surgery, Lumpectomy and Partial mastectomy. The sentinel lymph node receives drainage from a tumor.
A breast cancer treatment that uses other types of radiation or X-rays to keep them from growing or kill cancer cells is termed as Radiation Therapy. It is of2 types – Internal and External radiation therapy.
Chemotherapy is a breast cancer treatment which uses drugs to stop the growth of cancer cells, either by stopping them from dividing or by killing the cells.
You may subscribe to our free Healthcare updates via Email