During pregnancy, a woman’s body undergoes a lot of changes. Most pregnant women complain about experiencing varying degrees of hip pain. Some describe the pain as merely annoying, but for many, they want to prevent it from recurring because it disrupts their night sleep and disables them to do their daily activities.
Causes Of Hip Pain During Pregnancy:
According to Amy Humphrey, DPT, a spokesperson for the American Physical Therapy Association, the primary culprit behind hip pain is relaxin, a hormone that helps give the ligaments in your pelvic area the flexibility it needs for the birthing process. The other hormone is progesterone which increases during pregnancy. It causes hip pain because it has a loosening effect on your joints and ligaments.
Other causes of hip pain include body structure changes, weight gain, poor posture, stress, and round ligament.
Ways To Prevent Hip Pain During Pregnancy:
Hip pain prevention during pregnancy is very important to avoid stress and unnecessary discomfort. A pregnant woman needs all the care and attention to keep the baby in her womb healthy. Below are some ways to prevent hip pain during pregnancy.
• Maintain good posture during sleep by not crossing your legs.
• Make use of a full body pregnancy pillow to lessen the pressure on your back and hips after several hours of immobility.
• Always take time to rest. Don’t tire your body because it would aggravate the pain in your hips.
• Go swimming and enjoy the water. It is one of the best activities you can do to take pressure off your muscles and joints.
• Buy a pregnancy support belt to lessen the pressure on your lower back.
• Practice the habit of safe bending and lifting. Safe bending steps include lowering your body and bending at the knees instead of the waist. In safe lifting, you just need to use your thigh muscles to lift yourself up.
• Maintain a daily exercise routine to keep a balanced and healthy weight.
• Enroll in a yoga class and ask for a pre-natal yoga session. This can increase your body’s mobility while lessening body pains and other discomfort.
• Get enough magnesium and calcium in your daily diet.
• Practice all the techniques you can learn from any Pregnancy Pain Relief Books you have.
• Try a regular routine of pregnancy massage. This can help your body relax and will enable you to manage stress and pain.
• Drink a lot of water or juices. Don’t take too much soda though. Stick with fresh fruit juice and healthy drinks like tea and yogurt.
• Try having an acupuncture therapy.
Don’t forget to have regular check-ups with your gynecologist. If you are not comfortable or unsure about doing some of the suggestions above, you are always advised to seek advice from experts to ensure the safety of both you and your child.
Hope you have liked the above tips to prevent hip pain during pregnancy. If you have any suggestions or tips to prevent hip pain during pregnancy, please put your comments below.
If you like this post and want to have top health tips, fitness tips, health care tips and fitness regime tips, you can subscribe to FREE ‘Health n Fitness Care’ feed via Email to get instant updates on health and fitness information.